The Macintosh is a family of desktop and laptop computers designed, manufactured and sold by Apple Inc. since January 1984. Macintosh computers were always called “Mac” so Apple officially started to use the shortened name “Mac” in May 1998. Mac offers two types of products in present time namely Notebooks (MacBook Air and MacBook Pro 13) and Desktops (iMac 24 and Mac Mini).
An antivirus is a software program used to prevent, detect, and eliminate malware and viruses. It works for all types of devices, such as desktop computers, laptops, smartphones and tablets. An antivirus usually runs in the background to provide real time protection without interfering with your browsing experience. Antivirus software is also known as “Anti-Malware”.
Macs have several built-in security features designed to protect computers from viruses. These are
- XProtect – This is Mac antivirus software which scans all applications and files for viruses and malwares automatically in the background using a regularly updated database of threats. This antivirus software does not slow down the speed because it is written in macOS.
- Gatekeepers – Gatekeeper allows downloading only digitally signed software and displays an error message if a user tries to install software from an unidentified developer. A mac user can only install software either from the Mac App Store or from verified developers.
- Notarization – This is a malware scanning service provided by Apple to scan the software for known malware and issue a Notarization ticket if no malware is found. This ticket is further verified by the Gatekeeper to launch the app even offline.
- Malware Removal Tool – MRT is an engine in macOS that remediated infections based on updates automatically delivered from Apple and continuously scans for infections on restart and login.
- Macs use several other tools like Executive Disable, Address Space Layout Randomization and System Integrity Protection that run in the background to prevent viruses from accessing critical files.
However Mac in-built security software and tools are fairly good but not foolproof because Apple is not a security provider company. The number of malware attacks increased by 61% on Macs from 2019 to 2020 and 130 different cases of Mac malware have affected over 300,000 Macs since May 2020. They are unable to scan as many types of malwares as third-party antivirus software so it is also necessary for Mac to install dedicated antivirus software such as
- This Romanian software was launched in 1997. Bitdefender is award winning software which is recognized as a leader in cyber security. It offers protection for PCs, Macs, mobile devices, smart home, cloud services and business.
- Cost of 1 year plan is Rs1080/- for 1 device and Rs1620/- for 3 devices. A 30 days free trial is also available.
- Provide real-time protection against viruses and ransomware.
- Adware blocking and removal.
- VPN included for a fast, anonymous and secure online experience-200MB/day/device.
- Time machine protection for your backed-up files in case of a ransomware attack.
- Support autopilot, anti-tracker, ultra-fast scanning and 24/7cloud based guard duty.
- System requirements are macOS 10.10 or later and 1GB free space on the hard disk.
- Avast is a Czech Republic based award-winning free antivirus to millions of people around the world available for PC, Mac and iOS. It is available in 45 languages.
- 3 versions are available: free, premium and ultimate. Ultimate version price is Rs2, 299/- per year for 1 PC and Rs1, 999/- per year for 10 devices including Windows, MacOS, iOS and Android.
- Provides Secure line VPN, Anti –Track, Secure Browser, Online Security and Privacy.
- Offers cleanup premium, driver updater and battery saver.
- System requirements are macOS10.12 or later and 1GB RAM and 2GB space on the hard disk.
- This antivirus software has been developed and distributed by the California, USA based NortonLifeLock since 1991.
- Norton Antivirus offers 4 versions plus (RS499 per year covers one device), 360 Standard (RS799 per year covers one device), 360 Deluxe (RS 999 per year covers 5 devices) and 360 Premium (RS2, 999 per year covers up to 10 devices).
- Provides real-time threat protection, parental control password manager, secure VPN, smart firewall for MacOS, 2GB PC cloud backup and SafeCam for PC.
- Supports anti-spyware, malware, ransomware protection and 100% Virus protection promise.
- Malwarebytes is an American Internet security company that takes out malware, adware, spyware and other threats from home computers, smartphones and companies before they infect your machine.
- Cost price is $99.99 per year for 5 devices for the premium plus privacy version. A 14 days free trial is also available. 60 days money back guarantee.
- Provide 24/7 real-time protection against emerging threats without slowing down.
- This software has advanced antivirus, anti-malware, anti-spyware with malicious links and websites protection.
- Removes annoying ads, blocks third party ad trackers watching your online activity. Blocks malicious web pages and stops in-browser cryptohackers. No-log VPN to protect your online digital footprint.
- McAfee was launched in 1987 in San Jose, California, USA.
- Supports Windows, macOS, Android, iOS. McAfee has 3 versions: ultimate, premium and plus.
- Cost price of the ultimate version is $34.99 per year for 1 device and $74.99 per year for unlimited devices. 30 days money-back guarantee.
- Key features are real-time threat protection, firewall, password manager, file shredder, identity monitoring, online security experts, web protections, secure VPN, multi platform compatibility, parental controls, personal data cleanup and identity theft coverage.
- AVG was founded in 1990 in Czechoslovakia.
- AVG Ultimate is the best version of this antivirus for macOS. Its cost price is RS 2,999 per year.
- Key features are internet security; secure VPN, TuneUp, anti-tracking, automatic maintenance, anti-theft, sensitive data shield, access control worldwide, browser and disk cleaner, smart photo cleaner and payment protection.
- Enjoy protection from hackers, ransomware, webcam hackers, and malware of all kinds.
- Work 30% faster and start up 70% sooner.
- Kaspersky is a Russian multinational cyber security and anti-virus provider from home products to enterprise solutions.
- Cost price is RS 859.60 /- per year for one device for Kaspersky Total Security version.
- Key features are real time protection, anti-phishing, performance optimization, payment protection, smart and fast VPN, ad blocker, private browsing, Webcam Protection, Adult Content Blocker, Screen-Time Management, GPS Child-Locator, File protection, Password manager
The computer has become an integral part of human lifestyle. It is almost impossible to run an office, department and organization without it so the main concern of the user is to keep the computer safe especially from viruses, spyware, untrustworthy sites, cyber attackers, spams etc.
Antivirus software protects the computer from these security threats but users can encounter some drawbacks also while using an antivirus such as system slowdown, no complete protection, security holes, limited detection techniques, frequent advertisements and no customer support.