We live in the 21st century, robots are being made and rockets are being sent to space. However, it seems like we still haven’t got a grasp on the fact that we are drinking water full of chemicals, bacteria, and microorganisms that are harmful to our health. Water treatment plants are constantly failing. In America and all over the world. In fact, in 2018, around 65,000 Irish residents in south Dublin have been given a notice that there has been a mechanical failure at a water plant. Shocking.
Furthermore, the famous case in Flint, Michigan has proved that Americans are no longer safe. People have been drinking water with a high lead consumption. Thus, numerous people have suffered from heart, kidney, and nerves health issues. The most shocking fact is that your children aren’t safe either. These chemicals can have a negative impact on behavior, hearing, and impaired cognition.
So, why is this happening in the modern world?
Whilst system failure and malfunction is common wherever, it’s inevitable that every system will wear-and-tear. Especially because there are more of us so more water is being needed and used. Some of the causes are:
- Organic Overload – Due to the fact that people are not careful with what they flash, it’s very likely that the pipes will get clogged. You should always avoid flushing sanitary wipes, nappies, and other bulky items.
- Hydraulic Overload – As we’ve mentioned, there are more people. Thus, more water is entering the system than the soil absorption capacity. If the system cannot handle the demand, it will malfunction and break.
- Expensive Replacement – It has been noted by the City that replacing a single mile of water main can cost from $500,000 to $1 million. Hence, it’s often avoided for that kind of money to be spent.
What’s In The Water?
Numerous scientists have warned us that the tap water you are currently drinking is full of contaminants as the water treatment plants are no longer functional and efficient. Some of these chemicals are detrimental to our health. In fact, you are risking your life whilst drinking a single glass of water per day. Drinking bottled water isn’t any better. Researchers from Optima Institute have proved that around 20% of companies bottle tap water from an unreliable source.
You should know that additional chemicals are added to your water supply to kill the existing microorganisms. Some of these are:
- Fluorosilicic Acid
- Calcium Hydroxide
- Aluminum Sulphate
Whilst these are very efficient in cleaning your water, you have to bear in mind that the cleaned water travels through the pipes. These are additional contaminants as they are not very clean. They have been made in Victorian times and barely cleaned. Thus, the water you are drinking is full of:
- Volatile Organic Chemicals
- Lead and copper
Treat Your Own Water
If you’re avoiding extra costs but you still want to drink clean water, you should think of the alternatives. They can prove to be an investment rather than a meaningless purchase. Buying bottled water in bulk is not convenient or affordable. This is why you should consider:
- Water Filter – This device is capable of purifying the water that comes from your tap. It will remove all of the bacteria, chemicals, and pollutants with ease. It’s able to function for a lifetime and it ensures clean drinking water for everyone in the family. It will have a better taste and much safer to wash in and drink.
- Well Water Filtration – Using a well water system will bring you ease of mind and safety. It’s known that the water from wells is smelly and full of bacteria. This system uses activated carbon to get rid of the smell and an efficient use of chlorine which will completely remove the bacteria. Thus, you will be drinking clean and pure water.
- Boiling – Even though this is the most basic method, you will find that it will work to remove some of the microorganisms. It will require a lot of boiling which can be time-consuming but it’s worthy. However, please bear in mind that some people don’t find this as the most convenient solution.