Life is a path which is rarely walked alone. Almost everyone starts reaching an age, where he or she feels the need for a special person in their life. Some already have such a special one, and some go on looking for the perfect mix to their life.
However, in the midst of all this, out of the clouds of fairy-tale, real life takes its toll on both the members and some collapse to that pressure, ending in the decision of separation. Divorce is the legal procedure for married couples to leave each other and nothing is more important than choosing the correct divorce lawyer. There are many things that should be considered before making that decision as it is considered among the most vital one. So here are a few ideas to be thought about while looking for the right divorce lawyer:
- The process of divorce: The first and foremost thing to consider, which is also a very critical one, is the kind of process of divorce that you want to go through with your spouse. Whether you choose to use the collaborative device, litigation, mediation or any other process of divorce, look for the divorce lawyer with whom you can find experience in the same. What is also important is to see what kind of a lawyer your spouse chose, so that you can hire the attorney who is capable of handling that kind of conflict.
- The required legal service: The next thing to do is to figure out what kind of legal services you will be requiring. There are many different law firms that handle divorces and have different things to offer. Measure up the situation of your divorce and then go forward to hire a divorce lawyer that suits you. If you end up paying more than what you need, it is only going to make you have more losses than profits. Similarly, hiring a cheap lawyer who does not meet your needs or expectations will also end up as a bad decision.
- Affordability: Among all of the chaos, it is vital to keep account of your finances. So, try to keep the balance of the services required with the cost that the services will expense you of. Keep check of what you can afford and what can land you into bankruptcy. Also, do not cheap out on a divorce lawyer as that can make you fall into spending more than what you had thought.
- Ask around: One of the old and totally best ways of finding the divorce lawyer that is good in what he does is to ask around. Whether it is from a friend who through a similar situation or something else, or another lawyer, keep tabs on the names of lawyers who were able to meet their expectations or are known to them being a trusted one. Do not hesitate in such cases as it is a critical matter of your life and choosing an incorrect divorce lawyer may ruin some of the changes in the future ahead. Be wise in such a task so as to match them with your requirements.
- Use the internet to your disposal: People use the internet for different things throughout the day, and you may too. So, if you wish to search for a divorce lawyer online, go ahead. But make sure to gather information about them and interview them well. If you already have a prospective divorce lawyer in mind, it is a good idea to go through their online website and see what they do. Look for signs that make them look confident enough to handle your case and not slickness of the website as such things can be pretty fooling. Lawyers having an outdated website or no website, after all, is a bad sign and you might want to start validating referrals.
- Lawyer ratings: The agencies of lawyer ratings are always not infallible. There are various situations under the which such ratings get influenced, that do not necessarily indicate the worth of work of a divorce lawyer. Do double checks on such ratings or ask around, as you may miss out on a brilliant attorney due to the faulty ratings. Better take them a little lightly and focus on personal views.
- A lawyer experienced with family law: While getting divorced, having an experienced divorce lawyer with you works wonders. Do not experiment with amateurs or relatives and do not underestimate lawyers who handle different kinds of cases. An attorney known to regularly deal with divorce cases is important and also in the specified type of situation that you are going through. Do not hesitate to refuse people who are known to you but not that experienced, as it is a risk not worth taking.
- Interview more than 1 lawyer: It might seem exhausting, but it will be good for you if you talk to more than 1 divorce lawyer about your case. You can then receive their views on the handling of your case and decide for yourself which approach you would like to prefer. Just try to resist your temptation of hiring the first good lawyer that you meet. Doing so might make you end up with a better attorney than you thought or make you clearer about the way the selected divorce lawyer is going to handle your case.
- Questions to ask: It is okay to feel nervous when you interview a lawyer. The situation, your divorce and such things that cloud your mind may make you forget important questions that you needed answers to. The best solution to that is to create a list before the interview that will contain all the questions that you need the divorce lawyer to answer. Also, if you happen to bring a paper and a pen, you can take down notes to remember what was said by the attorney, for later use.
All the abovementioned ideas should not be ignored and gone through thoroughly. Be on the lookout for signs that might make the divorce lawyer seem unsuitable for you or the case. In cases where you have already started with the divorce proceedings and feel that the wrong attorney has been chosen, have the liberty to look for another one.
There are a few things that you should know in-depth about before you go for the ultimate search for a divorce lawyer. They are discussed below.
Questions to Ask a Divorce Lawyer
- The first thing to know from your divorce lawyer should be about their fee structure. Preparation for the implications of finance is necessary and important to know.
- The procedures of the divorce should be thoroughly gone over with as different states have different processes that must be followed. An estimate for the required timeline should be gained before continuing.
- Whether you are seeking alimony or are concerned about the liability of its payment, raise the question about it with your divorce lawyer to get an insight about the same.
- Knowing about the chances of getting custody of the children is vital. Certain issues should be challenged, and the others conceded. Also, remember to ask about any other alternate resolutions to the dispute.
- Ask your divorce lawyer about the framework for the splitting of marital assets in the state. Knowing the legal formula will help in getting ready for the allocation of joint assets among spouses.
How much Does a Divorce Lawyer Cost?
The cost of the divorce lawyer that you end up choosing will depend accordingly. It may range between $10,000 to over $20,000. However, the average divorce cost in the US is around $15000. Attorneys charge anywhere from more than $450 to $75/hour. The average cost has been reported as being $250/hour. Cases, where children are involved, may take up more time and money of the involved depending upon the complications of the same.
Divorce without a Lawyer
Although it is not a popular opinion, getting a divorce without a divorce lawyer can be a good idea after all only if the two people involved can manage to handle it maturely. The partners should talk about it in detail and know each other’s opinions about it. If both agree and commit to it, only then should they proceed with it. There are various options like getting an annulment or legal separation. Both should choose one option and then proceed to prepare the necessary documents. If problems arise, ask for help or consider a divorce mediation. Do not immediately jump into a disagreement or suggest or bring in a lawyer.
Getting a divorce is an emotional process with the slap of legal requirements. The divorce lawyer that you choose will act as a navigator through it all. They will advise you, guide you and walk you through all the processes. Do not hesitate in asking the necessary questions or changing your mind. It might be a hard time for you, yet you have to be sane for the sake of what matters. The emotional strain on you may not lessen but having the right attorney will definitely make your experience easier and better.